Monday, May 10, 2010

Eddo Stern

First off, I LOVE Eddo Sterns work. I caught a glimpse of Tekken Torture Tournament a year ago and it blew me away. It brings notice to the disconnect with the digital world and the real. Would you do something when it had real consequences? I play a lot of first person shooters and I find I’m very suicidal in those games, always running at the enemy with a live grenade or a missile launcher at point blank ranger. Would I still blow myself up if it actually hurt me in the real world? The work also shows desensitizing effect videogames have on people. I’ve been a fist fight and they are not fun. Using your words is so much better then using your fists. But in videogames it promotes this primal violence, that its cool to be barbaric. Brings up thoughts of America Army players who join the military and stand around in live combat like it is a videogame.
Cock Fight Arena is pure awesome. Your get to dress like a chicken and participate in a cock fight? Just awesomeness. I think most people would see this and laugh and enjoy watching the game. But how is that different then watching an actual cock fight? This work pushes the interactivity of videogames. In a world of the Wii, where interaction is a common thing. Back when Stern first made that game, this was break though stuff.
Similar to the Cock Fight Arena, The Wayco game, Wayco Resurrection, also uses a user suit for controls. You wear a David Kersh helmet/mask and play as Kersh as you battle FBI guys. The game offended people because of the subject matter, but I know nothing about the Wayco incident. I try to think if somebody made a Columbine school shooting game, were you get to shoot innocent kids. People would be offended with a capital O, but how is that different from the Grand Theft Auto games were you get to car jack people? That might be a bad example since people are already offended with GTA and I know I enjoy the games.
Probably the big thing presented was Sterns handicap able videogame. Its hard to imagine how difficult that undertaking most of been. Working on a game were all people can play it, even deaf or blind people. I feel this project is more commercial gaming stuff then actual art. But you have to point out how many people handicapped people can enjoy interactive art?
The computer case mods are fun but I think most people will just see them as what gamers would use to decorate their homes. The keyboard castle was an interesting blend of analogue technology and digital technology. Reminded me of something close to steam punk.
Its pretty funny that Eddo Stern took a year off to play World of Warcraft. I call that Artistic Research. It’s a good way to inspire you and to give you enjoyment. The Kenetic Shadow Puppets are a great result from his time in WoW. In a world of facts and documentation elevating some of our popular images to the fantasy/mythogoly of old is great. Plus I could so envision Chuck Norris booting a Dragon in the head.
What I pulled from the lecture is that its ok to use what you love as an art medium. I’m always skidish when using my cartoons in my art because I’m afraid no one will take it seriously. But Stern is able to make this big statements and points using videogames. Looks like I’ve been afraid for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment